Sunday, 5 January 2014

Christmas Makes

I had a few productive days before Christmas, baking, finishing off homemade presents and cards, and making Christmas decorations.

       Clay Christmas Decorations

I made these Christmas decorations to give to as gifts to friends. They're cut out of air drying clay with cookie cutters, with a wire hoop poked in to hang them from. They're then left to dry for a couple of days, the white ones decorated with gold ink and a festive stamp, then sprayed with clear varnish. The gold ones were stamped with letters to leave indentations, then covered with gold spray paint.


They turned out much better than my first attempt with cornstarch dough, which looked fine before entering the oven, (although the dough was difficult to handle,) but came out with bumps all over where I presume the bicarbonate of soda activated a bit too much! 

          

         Cornstarch Dough failures

I also made this creature for a present, which is possibly the strangest thing I've ever made, but my boyfriend was pretty pleased. I found this Chewbacca on pinterest, and downloaded the pattern here via Draw Pilgrim. I put my own spin on it by making a few alterations to the pattern and changing the way his ammunition belt was made.


Chewie


1 comment: